Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Kruse Automotive and Carriage Museum



Some of my nephews were great comic book fans and collectors in their youths. I was not into superheros particularly, but I was always somewhat of fan of the Batman franchise. I remember watching episodes of Batman on television after school growing up - Adam West as Batman, and Burt Ward as Robin.




I saw the movies in theatres over the years; a ho-hum Michael Keaton among others as Batman, and a wonderful Jack Nicholson as the joker - but for me, the all-time greatest performance by an actor in a Batman movie was Heath Ledger's joker in The Dark Night.




I have heard people say, knowing about his unfortunate death after this movie, that his performance is hard to watch. I have still only seen it once. But I love Heath Ledger, and what he has crafted here - his broken character LOVES Batman in a way no Joker before has, and it's oddly and viscerally beautiful. Ledger is so powerful and magical here physically - it's mesmerizing to watch - his is electric, alive. I can't take my eyes off of him. He does horrific deeds, yet I find him oddly attractive in full face make-up and a nurse's uniform, of all things. What's up with that?


So I enjoyed seeing the movie memorabilia at the Kruse Automotive and Carriage Museum - adjacent to the other museums (kind of a compound) in Auburn, Indiana. There are presidential cars and old wooden carriages the 'Prezes' rode in. There are some racing vehicles and hot rods. I didn't have a lot of time to spend here, and I'd like to go back - there's a lot to see. There are celebrity cars (Elvis', for example), and multi -media displays to go along with them.
There's also a Barnum & Bailey Circus Display
with lots of old wooden circus wagons and things, beautifully painted - there is quite a variety of stuff in here. One thing I like about these museums, is they are very convenient to get to, and parking is easy. It certainly wasn't crowded at all when we were here.
Just allow more time than I did to go to Auburn and stroll through this and the military history museum. Allowing a whole day would be fine. There are vending machines and gift shops, but I'm not sure about lunch here - should have checked that out. Too bad I didn't see a Catwoman, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment