Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Safe Arrival


Dear Synchro,


I'm glad to have received 'word' you are safely stationed in that land far away. You and your comrades work so diligently for the safety of the rest of us - the sacrifices that you make, the rest of us seem to take so lightly. You're confined at the end of your long work day, while we in the United States can play in our own yards, travel around and do as we please.


So I just have to say I admire you - always have - your discipline, your seriousness, your honesty and sincerity. It makes me proud to be an American, and gives me hope. Sometimes it seems like a lot of things in the world are screwed up, but with people like you 'keeping it real,' I think we're in good hands. Keep inspiring me, because it's harder to take the lazy way out knowing someone like you is out there busting her back in unpleasant, crowded, foreign conditions every day.


I think we have spent more time corresponding from a distance over the years, by now, than we were ever able to spend time together. That's an interesting thing in itself - it takes a certain commitment, but it's felt so worthwhile, the time has been no factor. We were so young when we were in the same town - but your photos look to me like you've hardly changed. It must be all that good living that you do!


I know you are living more than a lifetime there, and seeing things so rough and difficult for human beings to see - skip as lightly as you can my friend, and know you are made from the grace of God, and let not misery hurt you, but continue to bring your own goodwill to others. The world needs you, our soldier girl. It must - that's why you are there.


In my kitchen hangs a photographic calendar, and this month's featured layout is of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. You have travelled so much - I think you wrote me once that you had been there, and to Zion in Utah - maybe someday, in another life, we'll go there, and look at all the moonscape-like natural monuments, and relax. I'll be talking to you soon.


Yours truly,

Tailwind


No comments:

Post a Comment