Pages

Friday, October 11, 2019

High School Reunion Means Reconnection

I recently attended my fortieth-year high school graduation reunion. It was wonderful. I am from the high school class of 1979. I don't know what it is about this class, but we all seem to get along so well, and are so happy to be together. Even the people who don't really know each other still are very pleasant and friendly with each other, and realize they have a lot in common.

This reunion was planned for the high school homecoming weekend, which meant it began with a high school football game in early October. The class met at the high school game to watch. I'm not a huge high school football fan, but I'm sure it's nostalgic for the many former football players and cheerleaders, and band members in our class. My town has built a new, state-of-the-art high school, and a new football stadium as well. It was a chance for many of those who no longer live in the little town to come back and see it.

On Saturday, a former classmate had organized a tour of the new high school. This was extremely worthwhile. Mt. Vernon Township High School has a new, 73 million dollar state-of-the-art facility. The buildings were designed with all the security features needed at a high school in our current times. I was so impressed by all the hands-on learning opportunities - classrooms designed for kids who won't be going to traditional four-year colleges. The trades, welding, machine shops, audio and video technology, healthcare and nursing (I know that's a college degree), a pre-school attended by staff's children (for students to get child-care experience) - it was amazing.

It also had a beautiful, state-of-the-art theater, a great gymnasium, and cafeteria - somehow, all kids eat for free there, I believe I was told. I was so encouraged by what the school had to offer. I know a lot of people nostalgically miss the old buildings and old high school campus, but this generation will be much better off with these new opportunities.

Saturday night, we attended the main event in a ballroom at a local hotel. One classmate is a cake artist, and she created this amazing cake topped with an authentic letter-jacket, also made from delicious cake. I don't know how she does it. There was a cash bar and heavy hors d'oeuvres. Music entertainment consisted of song requests loaded into a laptop and played over a sound system through a music server. There was a spontaneous Congo line snaking around the dance floor to the song "Locomotion."

One thing I really enjoyed, was the gathering together of students who had attended the various community grade schools, for group photos with their elementary school classmates. The photo above is a group who all attended the same grade school. I don't know how many grade schools fed into our high school, but including the rural grade schools, I would guess around ten. I think it's neat these adults in their late fifties sat together for group photos with their elementary school buddies.

Another highlight was when our funny Master of Ceremonies, Rick, announced we were crowning our own Homecoming Queen of the reunion. It was a surprise for all. The reunion committee decided to recognize our wonderful Starla, who had done a ton of great work for this special weekend. So Starla was called up and got a crown, flowers and maybe a scepter or a sash (I can't remember). Then, I was so impressed - without missing a beat, Starla thanked everyone and announced she was sharing her title with others on the committee, and handed off her crown and flowers to the others! It was just so kind, sweet and cute. It makes me smile now.

Sunday morning meant a group breakfast, and people saying their goodbyes. There was a strange magic that happened at that reunion. Old boyfriends and girlfriends recognized each other and chatted as platonic friends about days gone by. Stories were told, and reminiscing overshadowed texting and scrolling on cellphones. Phone numbers were exchanged and connections were remade. I don't know when I've seen so many glowing smiles and happy faces. It was a sweet night to remember in Mt. Vernon, Illinois.

1 comment: