Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sculling on the St. Joe River

For about twenty years, we've owned a rowing shell, or scull. Sculling really means rowing with an oar in each hand - sweeping is what's done when the rower has both hands on one oar, on one side of the boat.

My husband's Danish grandfather brought this tradition with him from Denmark, and as an old man rowed in Michigan. He taught his grandson and I when we were in our twenties. Our rowing shell is a Pro AM 25, made by the Little River Marine Company. It's very lightweight, complete with the sliding seat (on wheels) and outriggers.

I went rowing on the St. Joseph River in Leo last night. It is a joy to row. I have canoed and done a little kayaking, but we don't live near an ocean or a fast river, so sculling is a great choice considering the conditions we have here. A river also can't be too narrow for the long oars extended fully to the sides - it reminds me of a big water-bug.

It can be quite tipsy, like balancing on a bike - but eventually with time on the water, a rower gets in touch with the feeling and has the control to keep from tipping over. When the confidence comes, you relax, you don't think about it any longer and the technique starts to get better. You learn what to do. The oars can't come in alongside the boat - you'll roll like a porpoise. You keep your body still, hands together, and the oars straight out at a right angle to the boat.

I won't lie to you - there is a lot of technique involved, and a good chance you'll roll over learning, so wear a life jacket. Plus, it's rowing yourself backwards, so you'll need a rear-view mirror and the ability to glance behind you when necessary. This is going to mess with your balance in the beginning. But when you get it, the strokes are so economical, you pull on the oars and push with your legs, the sliding seat glides back, you're right over the top of the water, skimming the surface - it's very quiet - there's nothing quite like it. Ok - maybe you've rowed on a machine in the gym.

The body must be very quiet - it's all in the arms and hands. You learn to feel the touch of the water through your hands and through the sensitive, thin wooden oars. Techniques vary, but when I do my recovery or return of my stroke, I like to leave the oars feathered, or parallel to the water, lightly touching the surface of it to get the feel of the ripple on top of the water for balance. Racers completely remove the contact with the water and turn the oar mid-stroke so it's upright or perpendicular, to be ready to cup or catch the water at time of entry.

Water with lots of fast boat traffic is not going to be ideal for rowing. It's not really suited for waves. This river, where one sees the occasional bass, ski, or pontoon boat, is usually quiet. Motorized and non-motored boats can co-exist; boaters just need to remember the non-motorized have the right-of-way.

Rowing makes for great nature watching, being both quick and quiet. If you need to adjust mirror, or sunglasses, or something, you can stop rowing and hold both oars in one hand, keeping them parallel - just never totally let go of the oars or you will flip. This is not a row boat.

Because the oars slightly overlap at the hands, one hand is actually over the top of the other when the oars are pulled into the body. I am left-over-right, even though I am right-handed. I won't go into an explanation of brain-side dominance, but people differ in that way, and I can't really explain why I slalom with the right leg in front but wake board left front, but I do. I could use a better scientist for this discussion.

We do single-man rowing because that's the type of boat we bought, but it's nice to have a partner help you set up the boat with its oars in the outriggers, and steady it while you cast off. And help you get back out of it, and know where you are on the river. Interestingly, the physics of sculling turns out to be quite faster than single-side sweeping, and boat speed increases with crew size. So all those multi-crew guys and gals are going 'way faster than me. That must feel amazing - like they're flying. It is a good workout. Not for everybody, I realize - I just wanted to share with you how much we enjoy it. Thank you, Grandpa Emil.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was looking up rowing in Fort Wayne and your blog post popped up...so I hope you don't mind that I read it and am posting to ask you a quick question :) My family will be moving out to Fort Wayne in May and I am from Austin, TX where I used to be in a rowing club. I miss it VERY much and was hoping to get a chance to row there in Fort Wayne. Are there any clubs there or rivers close by that are appropriate for rowing? and how far away is Leo and the St. Joe river? Sorry for the barrage of questions but reading your post made me anxious to be able to find the smooth calm feeling again :)

    ReplyDelete