Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Letter in the Mail


I am typing this entry on an iPad for the first time. This is amazing -I am not even using a traditional keyboard; the touch screen turns into a keyboard pad and I am touching the images on the screen as if typing.

There is no turning back - we must embrace change and welcome new technology. I am actually kind of enjoying this, and I really don't know much yet about what else the iPad can do - I'll be working on that later. I like how I don't have to engage these virtual keys quite as mechanically - remember the old manual typewriters and how you had too really push down to get them to leave a nice print mark on the paper? Somehow it doesn't even seem like that long ago. It mattered in those dreaded, timed typing tests in high school. The best typist I knew at the time was the lovely and talented Julie Bolerjack, who was an amazing piano player and could smoke us all and leave us in the dust, typing in Miss Harre-Blair's class.

Yet I digress. What I wanted to write about today was - not to forget to send letters in the old-fashioned mail, as long as we can. I wonder how many years the traditional postal mail will be in existence. It's still really good to get a handwritten letter; some folks, such as people in the service and those shut in or without easy access to computers, really appreciate it.

Someone sent me actual photo prints in the mail last week, and it was wonderful - with all the digital photography these days, I have a lot fewer snapshots to hold and pass around. This has really changed in my lifetime, from having lots of photo albums and scrapbooks, to most of the stuff in the last ten years or so being digital images on computers or viewed on a digital table frame. It's an interesting time - what's next, our photos will be holographic images projected in front of us? It makes you wonder.

I mailed a birthday and an anniversary card this week - somehow, it's just not as fun to receive one of those as an e:mail or digitally. I wonder if someday kids will be taught very little handwriting in school - just keyboarding, or maybe they will just think about what they have to say and it will pop up on the screen or whatever. I am not a scientist but working on this iPad is making me think like one. I think this thing might be a keeper. There won't be getting food bits stuck between the plastic keys. Boy, the old Dell keyboard looks germy (should say, is). I like how it would be possible to write in the dark with the iPad. It would be hard to read it in the sun, however, as shown on the Kindle commercial.


Fall is beginning, and a couple of squirrels were having a fight in the black walnut tree this week. One fell off a limb, fell about 30 feet nearly to the ground, sprang up, and zipped right back up the tree to start fighting again, but that's a story for another day. See you later, and I hope you have a great one. And send that old friend that letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment