Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2019

When Someone Goes Out of Her Way to Help Another

I had plenty of time to prepare for the trip. I was organized. I had packed my clothes the night before. A couple of dresses, some shorts and shirts, three swimsuits, some sandals and dress shoes. Socks and underwear. Paperwork my mother had asked for, all in a suitcase.

Plus an under-the-seat carry-on with all the usual things: jewelery, toiletries, electronic gagets, reading materials. I had my phone, my purse, my e-ticket. I even had time to do some chores that Friday morning: I had swept walnuts off our back deck, had vacuumed, had done some laundry. I was on my way to visit my mother in Phoenix, flying out of Fort Wayne International Airport. I was ready to go. I made a couple of trips to the car, loading up my smaller carry-on and a hot cup of coffee.

It's an easy drive for me, skirting around Fort Wayne on Interstate 469. Not a lot of traffic lights, no really heavy traffic. The leaves are at the height of changing color right now. The maples are brilliant, as are the many burning bushes. Even the smaller redbud trees now have bright yellow leaves instead of the summer green. It's a crisp fall day, and after two plane rides I will see my smart, 94-year-old dear mother.

I listen to National Public Radio along the way: the news of the day is about US troops pulling out of Syria, abandoning the Kurds, and the invasion of the area by Turkish forces. I get to the airport and park in long term parking. Rates are fairly reasonable: $9 a day. Credit card, or economy parking would be even less - I think $8/daily. I gather my things to get out of my car. I pop the trunk to get my suitcase, and --

There is no suitcase. It takes me a minute to compute as I stare at the blank spot. I look in the back seat - no suitcase. I earlier have left the suitcase at the house.

I have my electronic ticket, my ID, my purse, credit cars and cash, but no change of clothes, no swimsuits or other shoes. So I could still get on my flight and buy items when I got there, but it would be expensive and time-consuming. Who can I call?

I start with my husband, who said he couldn't leave work and he's too far from the house anyway. I ask him who he can think of to help me. We come up with the idea of a neighbor gentleman, whom I call. No answer.

I scroll through my contacts. It needs to be someone close to the house because there isn't much time left. I try a friend, a parent of my child's friend. No answer. I do not want to give up until I've run out of options.

I think of a neighbor who is a volunteer fire fighter and RN. I haven't spoken to her recently, but I give it a shot. It's mid-day and many people are at work, but she answered my call.

I explain the situation without much hope on my part, and she almost immediately said "yes." It was her only day off work that week, she said. She agreed to jump in her car, go to my house, unlock the door with a keypad code, find the suitcase, load it into her car and drive it to the airport. It's about a thirty minute drive.

We hang up. I can't believe my good luck. I wonder if she'll make it on time. What a great friend - I'm so impressed. She just dropped what she was doing to help out a person who needed a big favor.

She made it to the airport in record time. I tried to give her $20 for gas, which she refused. She had made my day, and restored my faith in human nature. People can be so good. It's amazing. (I did take over a gift for her when I got back.) It was the least I could do after her last-minute save-the-day.

Fort Wayne Airport has the best TSA - they are friendly and helped expedite the trip through the bins, line and x-Ray machine. I was at the gate and ready to board my flight. And made my flight I did, suitcase and all. It was a great trip. Thanks again, friend - you went above and beyond. It makes me smile. I will never forget it.


1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your blog, but this one was especially sweet

    ReplyDelete