Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Universal Studios Orlando


This is the second of my two-part review of the Universal theme parks in Orlando, Florida. Previously I covered the big ride-focused park, Islands of Adventure, and now I'll finish with the movie and entertainment-centered attraction. As I was saying, you have to walk down a long promenade from one of the two theme parks to the other. There's really too much to do to try and hit both parks in one day.
The Universal Studios park has a few really fun attractions - one of them is the Shrek 4-D ride. Get to this ride early for the shortest lines, or buy the extra Express Plus pass at the initial gate, in which you pay something extra to skip the regular lines - I don't usually buy this but I think it has to be worth it.
At the Shrek ride, you will be humiliated by the ride employees - but gently. It's part of the shtick. It's not a coaster, you will be seated in a sort of theatre. This is a must for all fans of the Shrek movies.
If you're with young children, no visit would be complete without A Day in the Park with Barney. Now, Barney gets lots of hard knocks, but I was pleasantly surprised by this show and took home a memory to last a lifetime. Waiting for the show to start, one is entertained by a sort of a puppet show with a gently flowing waterfall off to one side. Right before the show is about to start, the waterfall magically ceases, the water is gone and you walk through the space into a newly-vi sable theater.
You get to sit fairly close to Barney, and it's somehow sweeter than on television, as soap bubbles float through the air around you. Watch out - the seats seem slightly sticky from this. We found our special children's' cares magically floated away, and we all became children again for a moment, where love from a big purple dinosaur made perfect sense.
Another favorite thing of mine on this side is Curious George Goes to Town, an interactive play area that especially kids will love. There are water cannons, hoses, guns, etc. You can shoot into a bucket that will eventually dunk over and soak people beneath it. There is also a huge foam ball area for all ages. Look this one up one the Internet - I think I've seen Ellen's show set up from here. You can see things in the park at www.universalorlando.com.
There are some other good rides and attractions on this side, but I have to leave for an appointment and I want to post this now. If I have something to add I'll do so later. Go out and seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment