Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Salvation Army Family Thrift Store

Peace...comes within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the Universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the Universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that this center is really everywhere. It is within each of us. -Black Elk

When the weather gets nicer, I'll be able to get outside more and write about some fun things to do in nature, in the open air. There is still snow on the ground, but I see an open channel now near the deep, flowing side of the St. Joseph river. Spring (and soggy ground) is on its way.

I drove my children to a girls' basketball tournament in Hicksville, Ohio this weekend. The towns are tiny near the Indiana-Ohio line - there is a beautiful, old covered bridge in Spencerville, Indiana worth seeing - but not quite as enjoyable to check out in icy weather. Hicksville has a gorgeous school, with blown-up pictures of high school science classes from the late-1800s mounted in the entryway, along with its history, and its prominent citizens. The town itself is light on shopping - the main drag was trying to get things going with an outdoor-barbecue cooker and street music. I saw one grocery store, a McDonald's, and the charming drive-through liquor stores we don't have in Indiana.

I've heard the folks have to drive to Fort Wayne to find a WalMart or a shopping mall, so that's what they do. I wonder how many people try the Salvation Army or Goodwill Stores in Fort Wayne. For some things, it's great to comb these stores. If you're trying to create a Halloween costume, head there. I found the fine, purple wool coat for my Joker costume at a Goodwill, and I've ended up wearing it to church.

The best quality stuff around I've found at the Salvation Army Family Store at 6301 Lima Road, although merchandise changes all the time so if you're serious about finding bargains you might want to make the rounds every week or so. At this store, for $1, I bought a pair of perfectly new high-heeled Calico pumps in an orangy-red suede, as pretty as lipstick. The use of lice spray, an anti-fungal, or washing of items first might not be a bad idea.

I have also found designer jeans in these stores for both men and women. I brought home for my husband a pair of Calvin Klein jeans in an Egyptian cotton - probably the nicest pair of jeans he now owns. Kids' items like snow pants and overalls are good to find here too - stuff they tear up and outgrow and they don't care that much about, you can sometimes pass off to them, no problem.

Another tip for thrift stores if you have the time - check the pockets of pants and coats for surprises. Protect your hands from pointed objects and pin-pricks, though. I've heard from friends who have brought home $5 bills and pieces of jewelry left in discarded items. I don't usually do better than old tubes of Carmex, however. I like these stores because they employ people in need and recycle some of our precious resources - it's getting down to what's real. And there's a real thrill to finding a lovely, even vintage, designer dress that someone outgrew or discarded - you can imagine you're prowling the trendy resale shops on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment