Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Magnolia trees



The spring buds for the magnolias are on the trees through the winter, the sizable casings housing the magnificent flowers to be. Sometimes my neighbors will comment on this, but those buds hang in there unless there's a terrible late ice storm. It is still too early for the trees to bloom - It is March 23, and even after a warm snap last week, it will still be below freezing at night.





Walking is good now on a day that isn't too windy or rainy - Grabill has a town park just a couple blocks north of the railroad tracks on the west side of the tracks and Grabill Road. First you will see ball fields and parking, and basketball goals. A concrete trail runs west past the kids' play equipment (if you have kids along they'll have to check out the impressive, multi-car wooden play train). You can't tell but the even concrete path leads to a prairie garden walking trail with native plants and of course, tall prairie grass. It becomes a circular path that loops back on to itself. You'll find benches here and there if you want to take a break. Not many people know about this park - it's very quiet and backs up to some farm lands and a neighborhood before it heads out to a more secluded promenade. It's also smooth enough for a bike ride or roller blades if you arrived with those. Read the signs to learn about the native plants landscaped here.

But back to the magnolias. In a few weeks, you'll see them in parks around Fort Wayne, and in yards, as well as dogwood trees, flowering crabapples and lots of other blooming plants. But last year, I had an odd thing happen. I have a video of it, so I can prove it. I looked out my window one spring day, and a young man had parked his car near my yard and was scooping up armfuls of fallen magnolia petals, and was putting them in bags, and putting the bags in his car. He returned again to my yard, and although quite surprised, I gathered my wits and asked him what he was doing.

Seeming somewhat defensive and guarded about being asked, he said it was for his art class. I have no idea who he was. He hurried along, and I went back in my house - it was odd. The multitude of petals, the young man's haste in making off with them - and the petals don't really dry well, as far as I know - they seem fairly fragile. As I was saying, the magnolias are not yet out but when they are, I'll be watching for people in my yard - petal poachers. And I wonder if the mysterious young student really did make any art out of it. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment