Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Marshalls


Sometimes you just need a go-to store, where you know where to find certain things without having to wander around. I find this is a good thing if you don't have a lot of time to waste looking around in a big store or the mall. The kids love to shop for themselves, but they tend to get distracted from what the purpose of the trip is, and want to buy things they see impulsively.

Marshalls is a useful store for me because I can find things, like shoes and kids clothes, at good prices and I can have fun browsing through unique items while I'm at it. The have some great marked-down designer things and gift items that make it easy if you have to pick up things for the whole family.

On the trip today I bought a Liz Claiborne scarf in a cool spring color, an orangy-pink with a bit of a clover patttern, which I can throw over my Easter ensemble to make it new for this year. I'm going with a classic, starchy white shirt and a swingy, colorfully patterned skirt, and the scarf will give it an additional punch of color and look bright and warm against my face and skin tones.

I'm all for accessories. An outfit looks much more pulled together with a sharp pair of shoes, a great handbag, some interesting jewelry or a flowing scarf. All the Europeans on any flight are wearing scarves -it's an easy and stylish way to quickly regulate your temperature. It's also a way to get mileage out of an old garment in a new way - just don't overdo it, or you'll end up looking like a character in "Legally Blonde."

Rather than spending hours with my daughter at the mall this time, I've found a couple pairs of jeans for her that she can try on at home - one is a dark skinny by bullhead, a hot-enough brand that they had to marker over the label name to undercut the price. The other jean is paperdenim&cloth, with the original manufacturer's label listing these jeans at $68 - ridiculous. They're going for $13 at Marshalls.

I like this store because they have an interesting variety of things that change - home decor and bath items, gourmet snacks and coffees, books and DVDs - if you need stocking stuffers, Easter basket items, party gift bag items, etc., you can usually find something here.

Of couse, you have to deal with the solicitation to apply for a credit card with them, and that's getting old at all the stores. Still, this location is an easy in and out at Chapel Ridge Plaza, off of Maysville Road at I-469. I find myself becoming a repeat customer to this particular store.

No comments:

Post a Comment