Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Not Jack Sparrow - crazy sparrow

We have lots of birds on the property and around our house. Recently I've seen Cedar waxwings, a Baltimore Oriole, a Scarlet Tanager, eastern bluebirds, and the list goes on. I adore all these beautiful birds. I recently saw a few goldfinches alighting in our catmint plants, a purple-flowering plant that attracts lots of bees. I couldn't tell if the birds might be eating pollen, nectar or what - I didn't see any insects to eat.

Yes, the birds are gorgeous, and I love the " screen door opening " sound effect made by the pheasants launching into flight. But there is one bird around the house I don't like at all. It is a plain brown sparrow, and it's not the bird's looks - it's just a crazy bird. It doesn't hang out with the other birds. It's always alone, usually flying around looking at itself in big panes of glass. If it can get in front of a picture window and sit on a chair, it will poop on the furniture (or house or window or patio) and try to attack itself (or make out with same, who knows) over and over.

It wakes me up in the mornings sometimes scrubbing along the window, not chirping but clattering its beak at its reflection. I thought maybe this spring it would not be back after the winter, being too wacky to survive. But no, there he was, so he must be well able to feed and shelter himself, unlike the lovely swallows who will bed down in bluebird nests not suited for them, and freeze to death in sudden temperature drops.

But I digress. I don't see anyone taking BB gun to this bird; they might hit the house. So I guess he'll just continue to annoy us, and I'll have to keep scraping his poop off stuff. Maybe I should go rustle up that old slingshot that came home on someone's business trip to Australia as a souvenir.

No comments:

Post a Comment