Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Preaching to the whole e:mail group

What do you do when a person rubs you the wrong way?

I'm part of a group that has some common interests. One person in the group thinks she's in charge, and writes e:mails addressed to everyone in the group. She talks about various group members, reporting on them. She will address individual members one at a time, sharing private conversations with each, to the whole group.

And I've noticed, no one responds to her e:mails. She uses the public forum to manipulate, to try to pressure some in front of others in this way. She has a unique world view, at which she sees herself in the center. Thus firmly positioned, the world seems askew when I read about it through her eyes.

But the e:mails keep coming and coming, and those preposterous notions unchallenged just stand out there. Odd comparisons, judgments about people, guilt trips. Do I change my e:mail address, or do I delete the messages before reading them? Do I tell the person not to include me any more? Or do I just get over it?

Some people seem to constantly crave attention. They want everything their way, and want others to follow them. But the older I get, the less I can stomach certain things: gossip being one. I don't like people making a habit of talking about other people. Let people speak for themselves, and let their actions stand on their own. When the dust settles, the righteous will stand alone, and words won't mean much.

No comments:

Post a Comment