Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Seoul Garden

I dare you to try Dolsot bibimbap - a Korean dish in which rice, shredded beef and vegetables, and a fried egg are cooked in a stoneware pot which is brought to your table. You toss the cooked ingredients yourself, allowing some of the rice to crisp as it sticks to the edge of the bowl (the scrapings are great). Mix your spinach, sprouts, fried egg and sauce to your taste - My server almost scolded me to mix more, but I was kind of savoring individual ingredients - this is a very fresh dish and not too exotic - even probably to someone who hasn't eaten lots of Asian foods.
Order this at lunch and you'll also be brought some sides - a green bean, sesame seed and soy sauce salad, gingered cucumbers, and Man Do - fried dumplings filled with ground meat and shredded vegetables. I also chose the hot and sour soup, which was nicely congealed and left a lingering spicy-sourness in my mouth. This place is all about the food, as it's in a very plain building at 1820 W. Coliseum, a busy business road. But it's worth any lack of ambiance to be served that ancient too-hot-to-touch bowl in its moulded wooded serving plate.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fabulous! Amanda needs to read this blog. Have you sent her the link? Glad you put it on FB. I'll be checking in often.

    ReplyDelete