Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Lucky Moose - 622 E. DuPont Road

I have to admit, I was intrigued by the decor and then decided I was unsure about the theme of the place. There are lots of framed, cheeky posters - cartoons, celebrities and the like - in which the people have been adorned with Moose antlers. I guess this is whimsical, but I don't know what I think about eating somewhere that Moe is giving me the raspberry from his place on the wall. The server said it was kind of a Gulf coast theme, and I could sort of see that with things decorating the walls and ceiling - a water ski, an upside-down boat (something about that seemed very 'unlucky' to me). But the place is colorful and cute, and looking at the bamboo paneling you might feel like you're at a surf-side bar.

There is a lot of variety in this menu - sandwiches, wraps, flat breads and pizza. The server reminded me that the place takes pride in making their own crab cakes (Gulf coast theme again). I went for a half-slab of ribs at lunch, and they were delightful - complete with a homemade barbecue sauce with a complex, slightly peppery flavor, that almost had the texture of a rub. The ribs were completely melt-in-the-mouth and not at all fatty.

My dining companion took advantage of the salad bar, with which she was very pleased. But she missed the red beans and rice at the bar, which she likes because they are somewhat hot-spicy. The server told her if they are not at the bar, they can still be ordered as a side, and she was happy about that.

Lots of things on the menu looked good, and I think the next time I go back I might order a Thai chicken flat bread. This crispy pizza-alternative also features cabbage, peanut sauce, carrots, red onion and cilantro. I was also curious about the flat bread with gyro meat, feta, onion, tomato and creamy cucumber. Many of these dishes are available in different incarnations such as wraps and sandwiches.

Prices were reasonable and the casual atmosphere makes it fun. One nice feature of the place is there are two separate party rooms in the back which seat up to 90 people. My friend told me she had booked a room recently for a family gathering there and it was perfect, the food and service good too. Ketchy, lucky moose - you made me think. Hopefully you can pass some of that so-called luck on to your patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment