Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

amazon kindle

On snowy nights in Indiana it's nice to own an amazon kindle, even though I do not really like viewing periodicals on one. I just can't see the cartoons and pictures as well. But I have enjoyed downloading the free classic novels from amazon, and of course, one can purchase any hot bestseller one wants from the kindle store.

I have had so much fun picking up some of the old classics I have missed or forgotten - such as The Man in the Iron Mask, by Alexandre Dumas. Forget any bad 'Three Musketeers' movie you have seen and read the original; you're drawn into some intriguing moral challenges quickly into the story. I don't want to give anything away other than a couple of the characters in the story are Aramis and King Louis XIV of France.

I'm loving Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, although I have not finished it yet. That is a convenient thing about a device such as the kindle - you can have a number of books at your fingertips and can switch back and forth between them, arriving back at the place you left off. It's great for airline travel and has cut down somewhat on my magazine recycling.

Lady Susan was an interesting Jane Austen story I hadn't read. It featured a beautiful and conniving widow, who kept busy scheming and laying flirtatious traps. It was a little darker of a Jane Austen, but it was good and I was surprised I hadn't known of it before.

The War of the Worlds is a somber and gripping tale, worthy of a read instead of just a movie memory. Treasure Island - Long John Silver should come out of his literary grave to haunt the scalawags who named a chain of restaurants after him. Become a boy or a child again and sail to sea to find the buried treasure - forget 'The Best of Survivor'.

One of my new favorite stories of all time I found free on kindle - Bram Stoker's Dracula. You know Twilight and all those vampire stories the teenagers and everyone is reading these days - They can't compare to the original. You can see the roots of where all that came from - bats, wolves, and all in Transylvania and London. It's an exciting, mesmerizing read. I look at a photograph of myself and a group of friends volunteering to scare the Eerie Express Train at Ft. Wayne Children's Zoo (early 1990s) and I see a couple of vampires, skeletons, and Betelgeuse (me). But that's another story -for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Sue, you are such an incredible writer. I'm not planing to visit Fort Wayne anytime soon, but I was compelled to read your entire blog. Ha!

    Also, I had to comment on Bram Stoker's Dracula - also a favorite of mine, and right up there with Frankenstein. I've been obsessed with vampires since I was 5 years old (thanks to a premature horror flick viewing with aunty Holly), but what I really love are the themes of monstrosity that play out in this novel - especially the fragile, Victorian woman suddenly empowered, dangerously seductive, stalking the night with her puncturing teeth. It's a wonderful novel and I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete