Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Snowy Day in the Fort

An unexpected snowfall hits the Fort and temperatures are bitter. What do you do? One option - stay inside. Watch local grey squirrels collect black walnuts, and if you are in the north Leo-Cedarville or Auburn areas, you may have the privilege of seeing playful black squirrels. I also love the cheeky little fox squirrels that sometimes commandeer tree nest boxes or dash with nuts in teeth across country roads.

Be it where you are with wi-fi, or at a branch of the Allen County Public Library, do an Internet search on a philosopher, such as the German psychologist Erich Fromm, 1900-80. "If I am what I have and if I lose what I have who then am I?" Contemplate materialism. Then decide to have fun without buying something. Go look at the lovely fountain, and then the two-decker carousel at Glenbrook Square Mall, where a handicapped person can take a ride for free. The mounts are spectacular - elephants, a dragon, a hummingbird, a tiger - just beautiful. Buy tokens to ride and be a kid again. Then tour through Spencer's, with their kitchy gifts, or browse through designer clothes and handbags at Macy's. For germs' sake, I carry in my purse a small pack of baby wipes -I don't like hand sanitizers. Good for common surfaces, door handles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment