Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shoes from Three Rivers Running Company


It was time for running shoe shopping. I also love to hike. California, southern Illinois, parks around Fort Wayne - any where I can. One place that always pulls me back is Colorado - the photo to the right was taken on a mountain road, near a good place to hike.

I finally received my custom-made orthotics for my shoes from my podiatrist. I had to wait nearly a month after my feet were cast in plaster for them, to treat my Plantar Fasciitis that had stopped my running and water skiing by late summer. This is a torn ligament in the band attached to the foot's heel. I am really happy with new new hi-tech shoe inserts, and immediately felt like I was standing up straighter, with more support. I am leaving them in my shoes all the time, and I can feel them up under the arches under my feet.






With a steroid shot in my foot, by the next day I was ready to shop for new running shoes to get off to the right start with these inserts. All along I had planned to go to the Three Rivers Running company on North Clinton in Fort Wayne. I took my new inserts and went inside - parking is very convenient. I think I've bought running shoes in the mall in Ft. Wayne in the past, but there is no other running specialty store like Three Rivers.







After discussing my situation with the salesman, he helped me put the inserts in a pair of New Balance - my preferred brand from in the past. He then videotaped my feet and legs as I ran on a treadmill to do a gait analysis - the doctor had said I was pronating (to me it's like caving inward). Does a person roll inward or outward on one's feet? How can it be centered? People, experts, know about these things.







The orthotics felt good in the shoes, although I was a little nervous about running for the first time in two or three months. The salesman then had me try on another brand that worked well with my running form - another high end, name brand shoe. I ran in them in the Orthotics as well. I felt the heel cage was a little wider, and decided I preferred the fit of the New Balances, which I bought.







The store is comfortable - there were other staff and customers who knew each other and chatted about local races and training. Fort Wayne's running and fitness community has expanded over the last couple of decades - this store has been open since 2004. They had a lot of good looking running clothes, things for women, and triathletes. I'm talking about wet suits and even snorkels. And one customer was buying the snacks - Power Bars, Gu, that kind of stuff.







A table displayed with fliers had the latest news about upcoming walks, races, and community events for people into running and fitness. It looks like you could hang out and talk about running and find groups with whom to train. Good deal.







I got my shoes, and tomorrow I'll go out and try and run in them. It's exciting - I love running, not racing, but to each his own. I like the breathing, hearing the quiet nature sounds, the rhythm - I walk, I run, I don't stress about it. But I gave it up after the severe heel pain of the initial PF - which I especially felt first thing in the morning. I have been wearing a calf/heel brace some, usually while sleeping, to stretch the ligament. So I look forward to running, and then gradually, hiking, when I'm fully recovered. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment