Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running again, slowly



Walking or running is a wonderful thing to do this time of year with all the clear fall days, and temperatures in the mid-60s. The trees have been beautiful here this year. Although it's been a dry late summer/fall, lots of colors have hit the tree lines and the urban and rural landscaping. These views make outdoor running and walking extra pleasant and dramatic.


The trees in the photo to the right are at Metea Park in northern Allen County. This area, near Leo-Cedarville, is a great area to walk, run, and take a look at autumn's effect on the trees and shrubs.


After the excellent work done by the Northeast Foot & Ankle Clinic to help fit me with custom orthotics for my shoes, I am able to slowly run again. The orthotics are comfortable; I have been able to leave them in my shoes almost all the time. It felt a little awkward at first trying to run in them, placed under the liners of my new running shoes. It felt as though my feet were up in the starter's blocks for track and field. It was weird for me to feel as though the blocks were still connected after take-off. I could tell my whole stance and posture was better aligned, but my muscles would have to be retrained in that position, and it was uncomfortable at first as my muscles worked anew.
It felt strange, but nothing hurt, and I'm happy because after running about a mile twice over the weekend, I don't seem to have any blisters or other issues. I think this is going to work fine. I just have to make myself use shoes that complement the inserts. I need to say 'goodbye' to certain high heels, sandals, and some others - a sacrifice I think I can make.
Northeast Foot and Ankle is conveniently located on Dupont Road, adjacent to the day surgery entrance at Dupont Hospital. This is close to the I-69 exit, and there's plenty of parking. The physician, Dr. Michael Worpell, has a great 'bedside manner' and is an excellent educator. He taught me a lot about foot mechanics; I felt like I was learning about bi-pedal locomotion from a good college professor/lecturer. He also has a nice sense of humor - you've got to appreciate it.
I'll be cautious, but I'm optimistic about my rehabilitation of my Plantar Fascitiis and my ability to run and hike again. It's happening already - I just need to not overdo it, and stay away from uneven ground, at least for now. The shoes from Three Rivers Running Company and the orthotics seem to be working well. The doctor said he would adjust the orthotics if need be - a grind-off here, a shim added there, whatever to help with function and comfort. So far, I haven't noticed that any of that will be needed. I'll be back to blogging about some different activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment