Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A poem for May, the Roller Dome


The Lawn in Leo


The trees in Indiana are like those

standing hat-and-coat racks

(except for a fir or a pine)


and half the year they stand

naked, exposing the houses

they surround, with views for miles.


Yet, the yards lucky enough

to have trees

will change in a matter of

weeks from being bare


To displaying all their fine

colors, fanned out in a dizzying

range of hues


Wearing their bright hats

and cloaks of fine leaves


-and the yards and houses

unlucky, having no trees

wear none.


-SLG


A Day at the Roller Dome


My young daughter received an invitation to a birthday party -to be held on a Saturday morning at the Roller Dome North, 444W. Coliseum Blvd., Fort Wayne. We remembered the socks and the birthday present and headed out. I thought it would be fine, maybe I would drop her off and do some errands, and I was pleasantly surprised - the place was nearly empty at that time other than the party group, and the place, with its wood floor, brought back childhood memories. Not from there, of course, but of skating at the rink in Mount Vernon and how much fun I had.


I have in-line skated outdoors more over the years, and although I was never injured, we all know how dangerous that can be - and one must be careful of falling still indoors. Yet, going back to the oval track, there was something peaceful and mesmerizing about gliding around that path and grooving to the disco-type music. Most parents sat and watched the kids or did other things, but I decided to rent skates and get some exercise.
I just took it easy, but my legs got a real workout, and it was a nice cross-train from the running I have been doing - easier on my joints. It was actually relaxing - at a child's birthday party. I am used to kids screaming and running madly from one event to another at those things. Or experiencing the sensory overload of a place like Chuck E. Cheese's. Everyone was having fun, smiling, and the DJ was playing some great Motown music.
They did the same old games - the kids lined up for limbo, and 'switch directions', and a couple of other of the old school games. This rink still has special events such as Friday night teen skate, overnight lock-ins, school-off days, etc. The Wall family built the rink on the site, which had been a cornfield, in 1949, and the family has grown the business all these years.
This was a great, all-inclusive birthday party, where the rink provided the food and drinks, balloons, party favors, etc., and all the parents had to do was bring the cake. It went really well. Best of all, the business had to clean up afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. My kids' school has skate night once a month! I had the same feeling and memories the first time. I look forward to them now!

    ReplyDelete