Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Conversations at the Dentist's Office

I couldn't resist publishing this photo I took of Fort Wayne's downtown at twilight. The grand old courthouse, the tall buildings, the glow of the street lamp all look inviting from the large picture windows of the Hoppy Gnome restaurant.

Very near here in Fort Wayne, because of its relatively high elevation, the Wabash and Erie Canal was initiated on Feb. 22, 1832. Irish and German immigrants dug ditches some places 60 feet wide and six feet deep, using pick axes, shovels, and horses to help clear trees and pull stumps. Many men died during the construction due to accidents and disease. By about 1874, the era of canals was over - giving way to the transportation power of the railroads.

As humans, there are other kinds of canals with which we are familiar. Some of these are the dental kind: root canals. There are also other kinds of digging tools: dental tools. So here I segue to my topic of dentistry.

I like my dentist. I think he does a good job. I think he and his staff have very competently taken care of my teeth. But sometimes I'm amazed at the conversations we have in the office. The dentist seems to have a good social sense of what is okay to talk about casually, but the hygienist just doesn't know where not to cross the line. I've had one ask me why I was so dressed up when I came to my appointment. I'm not always dressed up, but I had a meeting that day. Would they ask that of a man who showed up in a suit?

They've asked me where I'm planning to go on vacation. Do I have any plans for spring break? I guess they are bored cleaning teeth all day. Maybe they are trying to put me at ease. Maybe the average woman is happy to make conversation like this. But my mouth is occupied with instruments, a spit straw, and fingers. The hygienist has to wait for me to answer her questions. It would be easier for her to talk and me to listen - she doesn't have tools in her mouth.

One time, I became aware of the fact there is more than medical history in my file. Someone must have been also jotting down personal information about me as well. I remember being asked some details about my work at one time, then six months later, these specific details were brought up to me again - someone had to be taking notes. None of it was relevant to my visit to the dentist.

This time, questions were not only about my daughter, but what school she was going to, what her major was, where was she going to live next year, whether she would be moving into an apartment with her current roommate, etc. It's hard to figure out how to stop answering these questions without offending someone. I don't even know the hygienist's name - certainly not her last name. Yet, she knows all these details about me. I'm going to have to figure out how to turn the tables somehow, toward her. The thing is, I'm really not that rude, or unkind. I don't want to be that nosy with her, with anyone.

I'm sure she's a nice person, and doesn't mean any harm. But this has left me guarded. I could bring it up with the dentist, but that might harm her job or leave me vulnerable. Maybe I'll just start telling stories - invent an alternate persona. I could come up with an elaborate alter-ego and keep some notes of my own! This is starting to sound like fun! If I have any breakthroughs regarding this, I'll be sure to keep you posted. Maybe just drooling and spitting more would be enough.

Hairdressers can be bad about this also. Men tell me women who cut their hair ask lots of personal questions. I guess those of us who don't like it just have to figure out how to stand up for ourselves. But it's hard to stop the ball once it's rolling. I'll just wish myself luck, and strength.








No comments:

Post a Comment