Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Bob Evans Restaurants gear into online and takeout markets

This statue at Kyle Field, Texas A & M University in College Station, represents the "12th man" in football. The term 'twelfth man' is an analogy for the fans who are considered to be participants, urging the team on to win. Aggies, as the fans are known there, are famous for their enthusiasm. In this bronze statue, students are depicted to be cheering and singing the "War Hymn", in which they link arms, overlap their feet, and sway back and forth. This so-named, nine-foot-high War Hymn Monument is a whopping 1700 pounds of bronze.

Hometown values, loyalty, country life, simplicity, farm and home - I think of this statue. The type of people also remind me of the people I see at Bob Evans restaurants. People ready for food that is in no way fancy, but filling and comforting. Food that could be served up home-style and feed a lot of people. Bob Evans Restaurants started in Ohio, and are now in 600 locations in nineteen states.

The chain (which it is, and the locations are not franchised) started with one truck stop diner near the original Bob Evans farm in Rio Grande, Ohio. Bob Evans produced many of his meats and sausages, and expanded to produce more as his restaurants grew. It still holds to a theme of country living. The idea that breakfast can be served all day pervades.

There are three locations in Fort Wayne, and one in Auburn, IN. On a cold night recently we tried the location on Meier Drive, east of the Fort near Interstate 4-69. One person in our party had the chili, or three bean soup: and although he said it could have been served warmer, it was very good. The sourdough rolls were our choice over biscuits and did not disappoint. For those patrons wishing to stay gluten free or choose fewer carbs and calories, the volumous menu makes this very selectable.

I was impressed there is a separate door and counter/wait area for patron takeout. I suppose busy working families could easily choose this on the commute home. Later I looked at the Bob Evans online ordering website. I found the website to be very user-friendly, with lots of categories and descriptive menu selections. Lots of variety and serving sizes are available for groups, all of which makes a lot of sense to me. I didn't know Bob Evans, of all businesses, would be doing such a good job on the Internet.

I have heard the restaurant is popular with some loyal followers, who make it a regular or daily hangout. For my meal I tried the broasted chicken, which I found to be good, and it was comforting, southern, and somehow reminded me of my childhood town and home. Nothing fancy, it was old-fashioned even, and tasty.

I splurged and went for a slice of a coconut cream pie. It was hard for me to decide between that and a chocolate French silk pie, but I chose the former. Good it was, but a little too cold in the center. I think I need to go back for breakfast now, because I think that's also what a lot of diners go to eat there.

I think the Bob Evans restaurants are mainly in the Midwest, even though the grocery store products likely have a wider distribution. The eateries stretch toward the near Northeast and also to the upper south parts of the U.S. Although not really my cup of tea, it was interesting to be there - entering and exiting, one has to walk past candy counters, coffee for sale, fudges and other products - I am impressed with the company's marketing, from online to point-of-sale. Good job, Bob Evans in Fort Wayne, IN - I'll be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment