Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Assembling Soccer Lunches


In my child's school soccer league, the parents take turns providing 'lunches' or meals on game days. It's not really lunch, since it is served after school: on the bus on the way to the game, or whenever the child wants to eat before arriving home.

It was my turn recently. The kids will beg for boughten lunches, such as Jimmy John's or Subway. But I wanted to do it myself, and save some money. It starts with the shopping. I am getting in the habit of bringing my own shopping bags, to cut down on the number of disposable plastic bags used. We have recycled these for years - still, I shudder to think how many are manufactured and then thrown out everyday. Recently, we were given some reusable, water resistant bags as a promotion from the Vera Bradley company, and I am training myself to bring them along.

Old habits die hard. Often I simply forget to take them with me when I am going shopping. Probably the best fix for this is to fold them (I like the large, nearly suitcase-sized ones) and leave them in my car.

Off I go to Meier, a good grocery chain in the Fort Wayne area. I am going to make 18 sliced turkey and cheese sandwiches. I buy that and sliced, whole grain white bread to try and please as many picky kids as possible. I also find baby carrots, bananas, clementines, Smarties candies and store-baked chocolate chip cookies.

At home, I write a personal note on each of 18 brown paper bags, and set these up in a large cardboard box. I put the fruit and treats inside each (stuff that doesn't have to stay cold). Then I assemble sandwiches on a cutting board, carefully folding meat and stacking each one exactly the same, so kids won't pick through bags. For this purpose it's better if stuff is identical. The sandwiches go into fold-top bags, and then into the refrigerator until right before it's time to put them in the paper bag lunches and then deliver.

Baby carrots I also wrap in plastic three to a person - unfortunately I think a large serving of vegetables could go to waste, so a little fiber and vitamin A here is better than none. A paper napkin is also included. A case of bottled water can just be carried separately, no big deal.

And that's it! Not too much garbage or individual wrappers - and no forbidden grapes, which I have been told become projectiles on the bus. Who knew? My duty is done for this go-around. And the team is having a winning season!

No comments:

Post a Comment