Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Sushiya - us has steak also



I'm glad a new sushi place has opened on the north end of Fort Wayne, although I am told Sushiya-us actually has been there for nearly a year, near Trolley Bar. It's an Asian fusion restaurant, in which new flavors are introduced into traditional sushi, Japanese or other Asian dishes.

Americans are supposed to be fond of these modern flavor combos, and I'm all for trying something new once in a while. Traditionalists can still get hibachi (grilled) entrees, bento boxes with teriyaki and katsu dishes, and noodles (udon or donburi). There is a lot on this menu, and it's augmented by a spacious restaurant with lots of windows.

The decor is pleasant and simple, and the sushi chef in white hat is poised and visible at his station. Next time I want to try the bibimbop, which is usually a Korean dish in which rice, egg, vegetables and meat are cooked in a hot stone bowl that is brought to table.

On this occasion I went for "special roll," an elaborate sushi fusion roll. I chose the Mountain Fuji. It was salmon, crab, tuna, avocado, more and a spicy sauce. Flying fish roe gives it an orange snow-capped look. It was delicious, as was the clear soup and ginger salad that came with it.

It's fun to see what the chefs are naming their new creations. One wonders what was going on for someone to dub a roll "IPFW," or Harry Potter, or Dune Palm, or 007, or Yam Yam (no sweet potato involved).

I suggest you check out their website at www.sushiya-us.com or just go to the location at 2882 E. Dupont Road in Fort Wayne. For a long time Yokohama was about the only sushi restaurant in Fort Wayne; then Asakusa has ruled the market for years. I was really impressed with sushiya-us: I'm not sure about it's odd name, but maybe I'll ask them what it means the next time. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment