Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Koto brings Japanese back

Did you know Native Americans used moss for a variety of things, including absorbent dressings for wounds, as diapers, and as packing materials? They also stuffed moss into moccasins and shoes for warmth. In this photo, you are looking down at the north side of the base of a maple tree. I have learned that moss can grow on all sides, depending on the amount of moisture and shade. It doesn't seem as though Mick Jagger has been gathering any, with all his upsurge in popularity as of late.

I really enjoy Japanese food - it is not a fad for me. Diners in Fort Wayne that wish to turn Japanese have had limited choices until recently. Asakusa has dominated the restaurant market for years, and frankly it's hard to beat it. That place is in a good spot on Lima Road across from the Meier plaza. But I've tried Koto a few times now, and it's good to see it getting some business.

There's a large white marble Buddha sitting in lotus pose in the foyer. I think this place was a fast food joint that was redecorated - looks pretty good considering with what they had to work. The kick plate of the sushi bar is subtle and lit with blue neonish lights - l like it. We sit at a table (no booth, says my friend in the know) and we're good.

It's lunch. I've had the maki special, which includes choice of two small fish rolls, and soup and salad. That's about $9. Next time I would go for the order that is choice of three rolls, because these are small and I wasn't completely satiated. I don't know, the one that comes with three is around $12. That might be better.

My friend has chicken teriyaki - with the rice and broccoli, it's a good price for $7. The tea - so-so. The clear soup was very good (hot! Just right). Also a good choice is instead: miso soup, if you like that. Soy and tofu; healthy and tasty.

They offer a lunch bento box - which I think is a good choice for something different at a Japanese restaurant. It comes with a lot of variety - veggie tempura and choice of entree, a 4-piece roll and rice, plus soup and salad. The bento box has dividers to separate one's food. It's attractive, aesthetically pleasing, kids might think it's fun, and it's $8.

I'm a big sushi fan so I have to dive and order a raw fish roll - many of us love the creamy, spicy rolls, but the sauces tend to pack on the extra calories. I can be good and get their rainbow roll. This is crab, avocado and cucumber rolled inside rice which is then finished with tuna, salmon, a white fish and avocado in a lovely striped pattern. That with the soy sauce and wasabi, I feel as though I'm eating some super foods. I think this was cut in about eight pieces, so with the soup and salad for lunch I was happily full.

There are a couple of new Asian fusion and such places on the southwest end of Fort Wayne, but I'm glad to see Koto up here on the Coldwater/I-69 area. I'm glad to live in a climate where there is moss, and I hope it sticks around. Unlike that is Curtis Smith's beard, our local TV weatherman, who makes a deal to shave it after Christmas each year once the temperatures hit the 70s. It will be gone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment