Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yoga at the Fort Wayne Dance Collective


I didn't grow up with yoga. I don't know the language of it very well, or much about the different forms. I do know it's an ancient discipline, and that it's growing on me. I didn't jump into yoga years ago, partly because of a strong interest in dance and sports ahead of it. But slowly I like the way it strengthens my weak spots gently and although challenging, I can make my own goals and not have to "crank out 20 reps" or something similar.

Yoga can mean all sorts of things, some more ancient and spiritual, but in the West, we are mainly talking about Hatha Yoga. This is the sets of asanas or poses for exercise and, well, meditation. I suppose it's hard to think meditation if your idea is you'll be forced to contort into painful poses and hold them forever. I promise what I'm doing is not that bad.

I'm taking a noon class at the Fort Wayne Dance Collective, in old downtown Fort Wayne. It's located on the top floor of the Artlink and Cinema Center building on E. Berry. It's a unique school in Fort Wayne, with classes for adults and kids. They teach modern dance, belly dance, drumming, pilates - and yoga. This is a class that a man would like as well as a woman - the strong poses, downward dog, saluting the sun - no tricky steps or timing, and plenty of strength involved. And no freezing in painful poses like out of a bad characature. This is flowing yoga using a mat and an occasional block or strap - there are a few props involved and it helps.

The breathing helps you calm down, center and focus. I don't know how it works but it does. I leave class feeling taller, more evenly distributed. My shoulders are back; I am unblocked. It is definitely worth it. At the end of the class, the teacher has me open my chest by putting a pillow behind my back and having me lie arched open over it, facing up towards the ceiling. She dimmed the lights; I became so relaxed I almost fell asleep. Good class, nice environment. Try it some time.

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, we have a yoga class here in Richland (pop. 160). I have been enjoying it for about a year now. I too find it to be challenging, yet restorative. I always feel so balanced when I leave the class.

    ReplyDelete