Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Shopping all around


Christmas shopping is happening, full-on, nationwide. Here are some suggestions of what to buy this year, some of my picks for 2011:

Caboodles. This is a line of jewelry and cosmetic cases; some sturdy and box-like and some soft-sided. It's a popular way to organize one's things, and there are many patterns, designs, and sizes available. They can be found in pharmacies and department stores.

Denim. We tend to live in denim - every member of the family (almost). This is an opportunity to buy someone a larger size, a different color or style, a fancier label for the holidays. The goal here may be to give something that is actually used (worn) a lot. If they dress down a lot, help the person "class up" their usual denim look.

Fuzzy bathrobes and footed pajamas. Footie pajamas are back in style with certain sets this year - maybe they never went out of style. Slippers, and slipper boots, go in this popular group as well. Boots in general are huge with the girls and ladies; a good thing is always in style.

I also like to buy someone one very dressy thing - a velvet dress for a little girl; a slim, flattering sweater for a man (please, no big bulky sweaters). Less can be more here.

Pepperidge Farm cookies for stocking stuffers. There are so many varieties - everyone has their favorite (unless, of course, you have home-baked cookies). Also, get at least one of those old-fashioned games - such as a wooden triangle with golf tree pegs. (A player jumps tees to eliminate them down to only one.) There has to be something for simple amusement in a stocking, or the day is not fun enough.

I usually pick up a DVD or two. Electronic toys are popular with the kids but I don't think that is all they should be given. The DVD I picked up for younger ones this year is 'Phineas and Ferb'.

For a joke, I was going to pick up a Chia pet for my spouse. The commercials; the green sprouts growing out of the clay potter, you know? But when I shopped for it, I decided to actually buy the Chia herb garden, because the spouse likes to cook and likes doing same with fresh herbs. Maybe this is just a gimmick but I like the fact the package comes with everything included.

Flannel sheet sets, and same in plaid shirts. This won't appeal to you if where you live isn't cold. But, I'm into comfort and texture this year. Go all the way and buy a microwavable neck roll a person can use to warm up. If you can find one with aromatic beads inside, that's the best, in my opinion. Less than a couple minutes in the microwave to heat and it's super soothing for any aches and pains.

There are certain people for whom I buy calendars - exactly the kind of calendars they like. I am a calendar lover, and look at one every day, so I think it's a very practical gift. What I haven't bought anyone yet this year is a book. I love to read, and I like to receive things to read, but lately I have bought fewer books and instead have read more things on my Kindle. For a gift, I have thought about picking up a copy of the new biography of Steve Jobs, founder of Apple, but so far I haven't done it.

Sure, get the large things, the toys, the bikes, the electronics, the coats. And don't forget the old adage - some of the best things come in small packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment