Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

He bought a bicycle built for two










We have talked about getting a tandem bike over the years, but it seemed like an impractical toy that might just wind up taking space. You know, like the exercise equipment bought with good intentions but now just taking up room in the garage or basement? I know you have it. Yes, you.

My husband, however, likes bicycles and shopped around a little. Expensive new, it was hard to justify - but then at Summit City Bicycles a clerk said they had a used one in the back - for $250. Pretty soon he was talked down to $200, and that was reasonable for this bike in good shape. Long story short, my husband brought home the understated black bike - brand Crestline - with new tires, and black saddle seats, and 18 gears.

Handbrakes can be operated by the person in front. The two sets of pedals are connected by a single chain both riders crank. So when one person stops pedaling, the other person must also stop. It's not like say, canoeing, in which one person can operate independently. It's impossible to see the driving path from the rear seat - it takes a bit of trust of one's partner in front. I found myself becoming sea sick from not being able to see the road from the rear seat. I would have been okay, but for a while I looked down at the chain and then the ground below, and when I looked up I had motion sickness. A lesson learned.

In the movie The Quiet Man, John Wayne's character steals a tandem bike when walking with his lady friend, and the two take off down some Irish county lanes. With The Duke at the helm, the ride stays upright, yet madcap and exciting. Myself, I found laughing out loud, giggling, shrieking - as a grown up, I don't find myself actually really doing the 'lol' every day. So the tandem bike ended up being a great amount of fun, besides the exercise bonus. A little teamwork, a little couples' therapy. The question is, as the smaller person, do I dare try to steer from the front seat sometime? I think I do dare. Turnabout is fair play. And must get photos for the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment