Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Plato's Closet and a Snow Globe Moment


My dear friends and family who have moved to places such as California, Florida, and Arizona: I understand. I hear you gloat about how you don't have to remove any ice and snow. Yes, many times I envy you - nevertheless, the Midwest is my home, and sometimes there is just something magical about the snow. Every snowfall can be different. The one this morning caught me by surprise - a steady, mid-size flake blowing in on a brisk breeze - the snow is moving so fast I feel as though I am in a snow globe.


I was struck looking out at the bus stop this morning where the street light shone overhead - the sun had not yet risen, but the snow everywhere glowed as it would, and the street light wore a halo of snow and light. All the street traffic was muffled, and it was a reverent quiet that it seemed even the distracted teenagers meditated upon, their faces rising to the scene. Don't get me wrong, I adore your beautiful, temperate states - I'm just saying even the snow has its moments.


But back to reality. The cable popped off the garage door mechanism, and a bolt needs to be replaced, so the car is stuck inside at the time being. One learns to deal with it. More snow globe effect is applied here. But I digress; the topic is: 11 degree Fahrenheit temperatures yesterday, led to (outdoors) one of us cross-country skiing and (others) shopping indoors at Glenbrook Square Mall in Fort Wayne.


The Sears and the J C Penney stores are open before all the other stores on Sunday, so we hit them first, and took a brisk walk inside the store-shuttered mall in between. The above stores are two of the three anchor stores of this local mall, and by this I mean they are large stores on either end of the mall with their own exterior entrances. Good stores, both, and then later we move on to Abercrombie & Fitch: all the rage with teen shoppers.
I think A & F has done a fabulous job of branding, and I like the quality of their merchandise. That being said, I did not enjoy my shopping experience there yesterday. One walks into such a dark store - I understand, for effect, it's this way to create a mood - but it was oppressively dark. The store is divided up into smaller rooms to the point it's impossible to see a clerk in another room, and you wonder where everybody is.
There was a canoe hanging overhead in one room - I can't remember seeing people wearing any A & F items when I was canoeing more, but maybe it was just the crowd I was with - (that's a joke). The rooms in this store are decorated like a designer house, almost. The branding and all of this stylization sort of equates with pricey. I will say, such detail as nice applique on the shirts and hoodies, good fitting stuff, good colors - No wonder the line is so popular with the young set. I like it too.
But the deal breaker is in the dressing room area. The music pumping over the loudspeakers was so loud, we were shouting at the top of our lungs at each other between the dressing rooms doors, "Does it fit?" "What?" "Do you want to buy the shirt?" "What did you say?" It was not pleasant. Okay, we had had enough.
We left the mall and headed to Plato's Closet nearby at 4627 Coldwater and Coliseum, on the northeast corner. We pass the guy holding the WE BUY GOLD sign - he's hopping, changing feet, as if he's, well he sure looks like - he's really cold. No wonder.
Plato's Closet is a resale clothing store, with items mainly for young women. There is a corner of the store with trendy resale clothes for guys. The store is stuffed, yet has a 'hip' feel. In addition to clothes, there are lots of shoes, handbags, hats, jewelry, video games, and movies for resale. The main focus is the clothes, and only certain name brands - Abercrombie, Hollister, Patagonia, American Eagle, VS Pink - there are more, but you get the idea. A person can bring their items here and have them sifted through to sell to the store, but they'll only offer a price on what they think will sell. If you don't have exactly the kind of stuff they want, they won't be interested. There is another shop next door in this complex that handles resale for more 'mature' women's sizes and styles, but we didn't make it in there on this trip.
This is a green way to shop - it's also fun to sift though the racks and see surprises, stuff mixed together - watch out for the odd earring or Chapstick in a pocket that was missed. This store occasionally has a clearance bag-type sale, so it's worth it to go in the store and hear about their upcoming deals. It's not for everybody, but for those high-end teen clothes on a budget, it's a savvy way to shop.
It's too nice a day to stay indoors - it's finally sunny out, so the shopping is over. There's something about the way a new snowfall leaves everything looking so clean around it; the ditches covered, the white plateau only interrupted by snow-covered buildings and trees. Hate the snow if you must - I'm still enjoying being in my snow globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment