Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Poem Written in Summer


Here is a poem about Indiana. It is called


The Dumping of the Superfluous


I came back from the prairie
to be among the veiled trees.

Back from farm fields, open and windy,
under a weighted sky -
from where I scrambled and scratched like a vole.
Vulnerable I was,
a target for a screaming hawk, like the juvenile robin struck
and killed, but not carried off.


I am not a white woman today
but a native woman out of
Appalachia, whose ancestors crossed the New Madras Fault
over the Trail of Tears. It is hard to be forced
to march to a western desert.


Relieved I am to be back in the little house,
sheltered by quiet redbud trees,
their heart-shaped leaves a screen
from the parade of cars
checking out the remains
of the house fire down the block
the charred railing looking like some
toothpick bordello in New Orleans.


I am canopied from the sun and wind.
A chorus of cicadas and crickets salute me.
They love their trees,
and although silence is blessed on the open prairie,
the dominant spirit is king blue stem grass
and I can't feel its old soul like I can that of the trees.


On the peaceful river,
water lilies have returned to flower.
In a dozen years,
I have never seen them here.


In the yard, first the bumblebees,
the groundhog,
and now the black squirrel has discovered
the neglected pear tree.
It seems as though he is confused
and feels an instinctive need to bury pears like walnuts.


He stuffs his cheeks with them, and then tries to dig another hole.
Unable to bury them all, he sits under the maple
and enjoys another one,
munching, chewing thoughtfully.


SLG



1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your poetry. You have so much talent. I would have never known this, if it wasn't for this blog.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete